Tuesday, August 03, 2010

A Trip to Melbourne

Business and pleasure in Australia begins today.  The business started in 1997 when I attended the Seattle Orff Conference and saw a session led by Jon Madin and Chris Maubach of Australia.  Both of these fine teachers presented fantastic materials but my attention was riveted on Jon Madin and his incredible homemade marimbas.  I went back to Augusta County in Virginia and began building my own versions of these fantastic instruments.  I've written and blogged many times about making marimbas and marimba music at Stewart Middle School, so I won't add more details here.

Over the last 13 years, I've kept in touch with Jon as well as several other colleagues from down under  who, whenever we would meet up at the AOSA conference would check on my availability for doing some teaching in Australia.  I finally was able to say yes this year.  I am invited to be a guest teacher at the annual weekend Marimba Camp at Candlebark Farm in Healesville, just northeast of Melbourne, and will be doing two more co-sessions with my friend, travel companion and colleague, Michael Nichols.

At the Marimba Camp, I'll have the chance to work with teachers, children, and adults who attend this family camp.  I'm very anxious and excited about making some fantastic music with these folks.  Later on, I'll be leading a session called "Building Melodies" or "Help Me Rondo" for the Melbourne Orff Chapter at Bimbadeen Heights Primary School in Mooroolbark, which is very near the site of the Marimba Camp.  Then it's off to Canberra where Michael and I will be leading sessions for the Orff chapter there.


When the business is done, we'll head off to tour Sydney, Alice Springs, and Cairns before we return on August 30.  Check back often for updates and photos.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Enjoy!

Robert said...

Have a great time down under!