Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

I've just returned from delivering a couple of Bass Xylophones, a set of Wind Chimes, and a pair of Finger Cymbals to North River Elementary School. One of the cool jobs I've taken in retirement is to repair well-worn Orff instruments at local schools. I've adjusted Conga and Bongo Drums, rebuilt Temple Blocks, re-strung Wind Chimes, and added leather laces to Finger Cymbals. The most important part of this new job though, is repairing the Orff xylophones, metallophones, and glockenspiels.

My trip this morning was delightful. I walked into the music room just as the children were singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" as a part of a new program to be presented at a concert very soon. I couldn't help but smile and do a little bit of the double shuffle as I carried the instruments into the room. When the song finished, the teacher smiled and asked the kids to say "Hi Mr. Holl!" I waved and said, "Hi" and proceeded with my work. I have to admit that one of the aspects of teaching that I miss the most is the interaction with the students and today's simple hello just made my day!

I'm doing basic repair work on all of North River's Orff instruments. Anyone who has spent time using these beautiful instruments over a period of time knows that wear and tear can rob them of their tone and resonance. Most repairs are fairly simple and only involve replacing pins and bushings. Sometimes a little glue applied judiciously to a joint or two fixes a rattle or buzz. Structural repairs on chips, large cracks, and scratches are more involved but well within the capability of a woodworking hobbyist.

I'll be finishing up the instruments for North River very soon. I still think the coolest part of the job is walking in with the "new" instruments, trying them out, listening to the restored sound and hearing the students and the teacher all say, "Thank you Mr. Holl!"

You're Welcome! :)

No comments: