Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Orff Schulwerk: Music and Movement

In just a few days, the Orff Basic course at Virginia Commonwealth University will begin. Many Orff courses accross the country and around the world are being held this summer as well.

Some of the most joyful, enthusiastic, energetic, and dedicated teachers and students on earth will gather for training and fellowship. These folks will embark on a professional journey that will amaze them, educate them, and train them for the rest of their careers. They will take memories of this course with them back to their homes and schools and will be teaching with a new energy and purpose. I can’t wait to begin!

My experience with Orff courses of all types goes back to 1977 when I took my first Levels course at what was then known as Memphis State University with Shirley McRae. Through the years, I’ve been in many courses, conferences and workshops both as a participant and a leader. My interest in Orff Schulwerk has never flagged. I’m as excited about the new course and the prospect of teaching as I have ever been. Preparing for the course is THE most interesting research one can ever do. Teaching the course is an absolute joy.

As we go through the class, subjects will come up that we don’t have time to get into and seminars will be held that raise issues needing further discussion. This blog will be devoted to those issues. Class members and readers are encouraged to log on and leave comments. Check back each day as new topics are introduced and issues are raised.

“Tell me, I forget, show me, I remember, Involve me, I understand.” – Carl Orff

No comments: